Saturday, October 9, 2010

Snail Mail.

We are all guilty of it, the snubbing of traditional letting writing practices by constantly BBMing, texting, Skyping,  and emailing on our Blackberry's. Testing out the waters of college can get a bit lonely at times and it made me realize how grateful I am for today's technology but a bit nostalgic when I came to think about what my parents did in order to keep in touch while my dad lived in Mexico and Mom on Whidbey Island. For quite the many months they kept in touch by daily letter writing and the exciting anticipation of what the next letter might enclose. Even though there are much quicker, face to face ways of connecting with people you miss, such as Skype, the handwritten, self sealed letter brings a much more personalized experience. A few days ago I mailed my first letter (of the college year that is) with a colorful bit of stationary I knew I would personally light up if I received. I always enjoy the precious stationary sets you can buy at Papyrus, it is fun and anyone would die for it! I have not gotten any mail yet this school year.... (hint hint sissy) but I'm looking forward to the reply from whom I sent a letter to. On top of the fact that letters are more personal they make for great keepsakes you can look back at after a few years and you'll smile because you have it.


xx
K







"Life seems but a quick succession of busy nothings."
 Jane Austen
So go fill a letter with happy somethings.

No comments:

Post a Comment